SYCAMORE – The defense lawyer in one of the oldest sex abuse cases in DeKalb County showed up to court Tuesday and was granted a postponement of the trial because he said he’s sick.
Richard J. Janusz, 50, of the 500 block of Nathan Lattin Lane in Sycamore, has been in jail on $5 million bond since July 31, 2014, when he was charged with 26 counts of predatory criminal sexual assault of a girl, then younger than 13, and four counts of photographing child pornography, court records show. If convicted, Janusz faces up to 900 years in prison. The alleged incidents happened between January 2010 and July 30, 2014, court records show.
Janusz’s trial, expected to last four days and previously slated to start Tuesday, has been rescheduled to start May 7, after attorney Peter Gruber’s request for a continuance was granted by Judge Philip Montgomery.
Montgomery is expected to rule at 9 a.m. May 7 on whether the victim will be allowed to testify via closed-circuit video. Jury selection is expected to follow at 10 a.m. The final trial setting is slated for 1:30 p.m. May 3.
Assistant State’s Attorney Alicia Caplan told Judge Philip Montgomery that leading up to a Thursday trial setting, Janusz turned down an offer of 50 years in prison.