DeKALB – Northern Illinois University announced Tuesday, the day before the 10-year anniversary of the fatal shooting in Cole Hall, the winners of scholarships given in the name of the five students who lost their lives.
Five $4,000 awards are given annually to NIU’s brightest students, in the form of Forward, Together Forward scholarships. More than 1,800 donors have given more than $745,000 to support the fund.
According to an NIU news release, the winners demonstrate academic excellence, strength of character, motivation, inspiration, integrity and a high regard for others.
The winners are:
• Lianne Abellar, an elementary education major preparing for her future in the classroom by teaching refugees
• Megan Gardner, who is studying dietetics and plans to battle global hunger
• Margaret Hitchcock, an outspoken advocate on LGBTQA issues on campus and in the broader community
• Edgar Lopez, a leader in the Latino community in Rochelle
• Christine Wang, the speaker of the NIU Student Association Senate who has studied abroad in five countries, worked in government at the county and federal levels, and helped revitalize campus mental health programs