The Grow Mobile has mobilized for the public’s consumption.
The DeKalb County Community Gardens’ mobile food pantry makes deliveries year-round, but since the planting season is underway, the agency has announced a full spring-summer-fall slate of pop-up deliveries for the public, beginning Saturday at the Kingston Friendship Center, 120 Main St., Kingston.
At many of those stops, Christy Sharp of the Malta-based Kishwaukee Education Consortium culinary arts program will give a cooking demonstration.
The mobile food pantry is geared to bring food to low-income and food-desert areas of rural and urban DeKalb County, and it serves nearly 200 food-insecure neighbors every week, according to a news release.
In addition to a partnership with Northern Illinois Food Bank, which allows the mobile pantry to make stops year-round, the service has many partners throughout the county.
“Many organizations, individuals, businesses and churches work together to make sure all of our neighbors have enough to eat,” DeKalb County Community Gardens Executive Director Dan Kenney said in the release.
The Grow Mobile makes weekly stops exclusively for residents at Gideon Court Apartments, Safe Passage, Taylor Street Apartments, DeKalb Senior Center, Colonial House, Hope Haven and the DeKalb County Health Department, according to the release.
It also stops every other week at Civic Apartments in Sycamore, and in mid-May, it will start visiting University Village weekly.
For information or to sponsor a mobile food pantry, call Kenney at 815-793-0950.
Where to catch the Grow Mobile
• 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday at Two Rivers Head Start, 2425 Bethany Road, Sycamore
• 8 to 11 a.m. May 12*, June 9, July 14*, Aug. 11, Sept. 8*, Oct. 13 and Nov. 10 at Kingston Friendship Center, 120 Main St.
• 1 to 3 p.m. May 14 and June 25 at St. Paul’s Catholic Church, 340 Arnold St., Sandwich
• 1 to 3 p.m. May 21 at Kirkland First Lutheran Church/The United Methodist Church, 510 W. South St.
• 2 to 4 p.m. July 17* and Sept. 11 at Sycamore United Methodist Church, 160 Johnson Ave., Sycamore
• 2 to 4 p.m. July 30* at St. Paul’s Catholic Church • 1 to 3 p.m. Aug. 13 and Sept. 17 at Lions Park on South Birch Street, Waterman
• 1 to 3 p.m. Aug. 27 at Kirkland Food Pantry, First Lutheran/The United Methodist Church, 510 W. South St., Kirkland
• 3 to 6 p.m. Sept. 25 at Malta Elementary School, 5068 Route 38, Malta
* Featuring demonstrations by Grow Mobile chef Christy Sharp