Digital Access

Digital Access
Access and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more!

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, prep sports scores, school closings, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Sign up for free e-newsletters today.

3 law enforcement officers are injured in fatal South Elgin standoff

4-hour overnight Tuesday ordeal in South Elgin ends in suspect’s death

SOUTH ELGIN – A Geneva police officer was one of three people wounded by gunfire in a fatal standoff Wednesday with an armed man in South Elgin, police said.

After about four hours of trying to negotiate with him, a man identified as Frank Dripps, 52, came out onto the porch of his townhouse in the 300 block of Woodridge Circle in South Elgin and shot at SWAT team members who returned fire, killing him, South Elgin Sgt. Michael Doty said.

“Three officers were struck by some type of bullet or fragment of bullets,” Doty said. “The three were transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.”

Two of the wounded officers were from the Kane County SWAT team – a sheriff’s deputy and a Geneva officer who were part of the SWAT team – and a Hanover Park officer who was assisting, Kane County Sheriff’s spokesman Lt. Pat Gengler said.

The incident began at 10:50 p.m. Tuesday with residents of the 300 block of Woodridge Circle reporting shots fired at a townhouse building. The incident ended at 2:38 a.m. Wednesday, with the suspect shooting at officers and then being fatally shot, Doty said.

When officers first arrived, Dripps fired at them from the first-floor townhouse where he lived, Doty said.

“Officers immediately took cover and tried to negotiate with the suspect,” Doty said. “After a period of time, a supervisor called … mutual aid for police agencies. Also, the suspect was still acting erratically and said if police came, he would shoot them.”

Multiple police agencies from the area and SWAT teams from Elgin and Kane County responded, Doty said.

“After a period of about four hours of negotiating with the suspect, he exited onto his porch area and started shooting at SWAT team members,” Doty said. “They returned fire and took the suspect out. … The suspect was shot at 2:38 a.m.”

Dripps had a shotgun and a rifle, Doty said.

Doty could not say how many rounds were fired because that still is under investigation.

The Kane County Major Crimes Task Force Officer Involved Shooting Team is investigating the incident, Doty said.

“The investigation is ongoing, with police speaking with witnesses,” Doty said. “Officers will take time to sort it out.”

Gengler said the county’s SWAT officer was treated and released from the hospital.

In an email, Geneva Cmdr. Julie Nash said the injured Geneva officer was treated and released from the hospital.

Loading more